Monday, March 19, 2012

The Pianist



The movie I'm reviewing this week is The Pianist and it stars Adrien Brody. He plays a polish jew who lives in the Warsaw Ghetto and he goes by his last name, Szpilman. The ghettos were created by german nazi's in WWII to keep all of the jewish people together before they were sent to concentration camps.

Szpilman is a wonderful pianist and does fairly well for himself before the war. When it comes time to evacuate the ghettos he is pulled aside and let back into the city by one of his friends who is a jewish police officer. Even though this means he may have a chance to live, if he is able to remain hidden from the nazi's, he is quite devasted because he is forced to leave his family behind and sadly he never gets the chance to see them again.

Towards the end of the movie Szpilman is doing very poorly and is on the brink of death hiding out in a house. One day he finds a can of fruit and goes in search of a way to open the can. While searching he runs into a Nazi soldier who is actually kind to him and doesn't kill him or turn him in. He is so nice to him that he even brings him food from his home and a cap opener. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and I would recommend it to anyone but, if you do not enjoy serious war movies this is probably not the one for you. All in all I give it four stars!

8 comments:

  1. I've never seen this or even hear of it bu it sounds pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this one. I might watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really familiar, but I don't remember ever seeing it. It sounds like a good movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds good. i think i better watch it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested, but not overly so. There are so many WWII movies out there, they all start to seem generic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This movie sounds kind of neat! I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another good, less famous WWII film would be "A Midnight Clear."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this, but I was wondering what it was about. In general, I like WWII movies.

    ReplyDelete